Monday, November 19, 2007

Cultivating Creativity

It amazes me when people say, "Oh, I'm just not the creative type." I don't believe creativity is something you're born with, but rather something you cultivate, nurture, and strive for. Creativity is part of our biology; if our bodies can constantly create new cells, then our brains can create new thoughts, and therefore be creative.

I recently became aware of a local campaign called Creativity Matters that believes that creativity can be taught. Imagine the possibilities! The best problem-solving happens when you let yourself step out of the box and think about things in a new way. I've sat in more meetings than I care to remember where new ideas are shot down before being explored, and I blame our quest for instant solutions. Creativity needs a little time and space, but the the rewards are often far more effective and lasting than going for the quick fix.

So, how do you learn to be more creative? Creativity Matters has a great list of 25 ways to cultivate creativity every day. Check it out. Oh, and I highly recommend firing your inner critic. Creativity needs optimism, and our inner critics live on
a steady diet of doubt and fear. So, whenever possible, put that voice aside in favor of the one that says, "Hmm, I wonder what's possible?"

No comments: